During the Liberty Loan Drives of WWI, at the age of 84,
Martha Olivia Johnson purchased eighty-four $1000 bonds.
Four years later, as a gift in memory of her parents and her
seven brothers and sisters, these bonds and additional funds
were turned over to the board of the Presbyterian Church of
Assumption. The funds were used for a new church building.
On October 19, 1919, the name of the church was changed from
First Presbyterian to Memorial Presbyterian Church.